Monday, October 22, 2012

The Great Unknown
















                       It is said that –
                       Enlightenment appears dark
                       The progressive way appears retrograde
                       The smooth way appears jagged
                       The highest peak of revelation appears empty 
                         like a valley
                       The cleanest appears to be soiled
                       The greatest abundance appears to be 
                            insufficient
                       The most enduring inner strength appears like 
                            weakness                         

                       And creativity appears imitative

                                    Excerpt, Verse 41, 
                                    Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu

          Sometimes, action requires heading into the great unknown, with no idea of what the outcome is.  I am the type of person that likes to think and research my decisions, making careful plans as to what my next course of action will be.  But there will always come a time when no amount of planning prepares you for what life throws at you.  As a young teenager, I never intended to leave the Mormon Church.  Then my questions started heading down a strange path, one that was both frightening and freeing, all at once.  Now, ten years and one major auto-pedestrian accident later, I am preparing to head down another unknown path, one that involves a career change and graduate school in an alternate subject.  I don’t know where this path will lead me.  But sometimes, when all the research is done, all of the questions answered, the only course of action left is to jump into the unknown, with the hope that everything will turn out all right in the end.

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you have the faith in yourself to keep going! You are going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this: "the only course of action left is to jump into the unknown, with the hope that everything will turn out all right in the end."

    This is the exact point I'm at in my life. I too am going back to school and changing careers and I have no idea where the future will lead me, but, like you, I'm hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Natsy - it's a scary step but I think we just have to hope that hard work will prevail.

      Delete

I love hearing comments and I welcome all viewpoints; however, I request that if you do choose to comment, please do so in a manner that is constructive and respectful of others.