Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Economics of Ex-Mormons Speaking Out

Blogger has an analytics section that tracks how people find this particular blog.  As a numbers/factoid geek, I like to keep an eye on these statistics.  Most of what I see is not surprising – most of the hits from this website are coming from ex-Mormon community forums. 
Other people find this blog through web-engine search queries.  The top search term that brings people to this blog is the search phrase “ex Mormons speak out”, followed by “feminist Mormon housewives”, and, more recently, the search term “ex Mormon blogs”. 
        A couple months ago, I noticed that I was getting a lot of hits from a particular website called semrush.com  As far as I can tell, this is a site that runs analytics on websites, positioning themselves as a way to keep track of the competition.  If you type in the address of a specific blog/website, you can access data on the search engine queries that bring in traffic. 
Being the inquisitive person that I am, I typed in my domain – postmormongirl.blogspot.com  The results were both a surprise and not a surprise.  The top search queries that bring people to my blog are terms like “ex Mormon blogs”, “ex Mormons speak out”, “feminist Mormon housewives”, and “post Mormon”.  No surprise there.  According to this website, last month there were 206 entry points into this blog from search engine queries alone. 
But the surprising – and perhaps not so surprising – result was the amount of money spent on advertising for these search queries.  Every time you type a search query into Google, at the very top of the page is a yellow box with links inside.  These are the paid advertisements.  Depending on the specific search term, companies can either pay a little or a lot of money to have their links appear in that little yellow box. 

If I were to pay advertising fees in order to get those 206 entry points from search engine queries, the price-tag for that was quoted as $658.  That is a lot of money.  

At first, that number shocked me.  Then I thought about it and I realized that the top search queries that bring people to this blog are search terms like “ex Mormons speak out” and “ex Mormon blogs”.  Those are pretty loaded search queries.  There is also a very well-financed organization that really doesn’t want people thinking along those lines and is willing to pay a lot of money in order to put up competing links. 
What is the specific price of these advertisements?  The price for advertising on google through the search query “feminist Mormon housewives” is actually pretty low – only $0.10 per click.  On the other hand, the price-per-click for “ex Mormons speak out” – which is the number one search query that brings people to this blog – is quoted as $9.39.  The advertising rate for “ex Mormon blogs” is a staggering $11.44 per click, while “post Mormon” is a more modest $8.56 per click. 
I guess I was both surprised and not surprised by these results.  On some level, I knew that advertising, especially advertising for ex-Mormon related search queries, was probably coming at a stiff price.  I just never realized how stiff of a price it is. 
Looking at these results – at the sheer amount of money that is spent on pulling people away from my blog – I can’t help but think about the strange symbiosis that is going on here.  Friends and family members that I grew up with are paying tithing money into a system that is then turning around and running a heavily-financed advertising campaign that is, in part, paying a lot of money in order to cover up the results of search queries such as “ex Mormons speak out”, “post Mormon”, and “ex Mormon blogs”.  It's enough to make my head explode.  

Are my stories really that worrisome?  

12 comments:

  1. Aren't your stories worrisome?

    You're far from the angriest ex-Mormon out there, but even a story of being happier after leaving the church pokes holes in the church's claims--we're supposed to be miserable, hateful hedonists, remember?

    Really interesting info, though. I'm kind of a numbers geek, too, so I had a little fun poking around on that site for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a Moregood foundation presentation once (a Mormon group that fights apostasy through search optimization), and from their presentation I gathered that they haven't been able to sway search results much in America. You can see it if you google mormon terms. Generic ones like "Mormon" and "LDS" still bring up one or two anti sources, and loaded terms like "polyandry" or the ones you mentioned bring up almost exclusively ex mormon sites. So the church might be trying worrisome stuff, but they aren't succeeding at it.

    But further on in the presentation they discussed where they were making headway: outside the U.S. They'd managed to completely eliminate anti-mormon links from the first page of several loaded search terms. That was a few years ago, though. If I google "Problems with the book of Mormon" I only get 2 pro-mormon sources out of the 10 on the first page, and the 2 are closer to the bottom of the page. Googling "Problemas com o livro de mormon" yields 5 pro-mormon sources out of 10.

    They haven't been able to bury dissent in Brazil, but it is certainly more buried there than in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do realize that no-one is actually paying those prices?

    If you search for those terms, at least when I do, I see zero paying advertisers. So the results you found, while technically "true" according to Googles Adwords platform, are not realistically true, because no-one is paying those prices to advertise.

    It's like me saying my website is worth a billion dollars because that is what I would sell it for, but since no-one is actually interested in buying it at that price I am just talking out of my ass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed cruising around that site as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Troy,

    The price is completely based on the market. That is exactly the cost per click. Google Adwords provides a marketplace where you bid on clicks. It's the price per click on the advertised link on every google ad.

    The Mormon church spent millions on the I Am a Mormon campaign. You want to see how much they pay per click on the search term "Mormon" or "Joseph Smith"? Sign up for Adwords and you'll find out the price. I'm sure they get volume discount but this is the actual cost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Alex is right. Anyone who tells the truth is a threat to the church, especially if that truth includes the tiny little tidbit that life is better on the outside!

    Your point about tithing is interesting... something I'd never thought about before. Members are essentially helping the church keep the wool over their own eyes, and they don't even know it. It's kinda sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This
    is an extremely well written article. I'll make
    sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful
    information. Thanks for the post. I'll definitely comeback.


    Feel free to surf to my site: social media

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are YOUR stories really that worrisome? ABSOLUTELY. For someone that grew up "Mormon", it's really funny that you would jump from being a "Mormon Girl" (as you put it) and start head banging to heavy metal so hardcore. That is a big EXTREME to go from one thing to another so rapidly. It's a bit unhealthy, even spiritually. Whether you think it's not an issue or not, you should because being Mormon might mean listening to things that are pure - which there is nothing wrong with that - but if you like a particular type of music does that mean you drop out of something that has been a part of you? Keep in-mind, God is all over you - even if you think for a second that music is going to guide you through life. I promise you, if you follow the words of your music... And I say this in the name of the Lord JESUS CHRIST... the gates of hell will open upon the path you take. Jesus Christ has set a path for you that provides comfort from the Comforter - the Holy Spirit of love, of goodness. Do not let the evils of this earth take your soul and keep it from the pure life that you know is true no matter how far you want to stay away from the truth. Evil is upon many, maybe even you. Take a look in the mirror now and ask the question, "WHO AM I?"... who are you? Are you one that walks with JESUS CHRIST or are you one that walks in THE MUSIC OF THE EARTH, NOT OF HEAVEN. Ask yourself the question, WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? Jesus would hope that you set your mind on the straight and narrow path and ENDURE TO THE END for time and all eternity. In the name of JESUS CHRIST, A M E N AND A M E N. ROCK OUT TO THAT! LET'S SEE IT, HEAD BANGER - WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR HALO? DON'T LOOSE YOURSELF. C H O O S E T H E R I G H T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can safely say that my life is a lot better out of Mormonism than it was inside.

      Delete
  9. Yes as of alex said no one in this world could not come out with the truth and real happenings of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A POST-MORMON LIFE is providing Economics all details .So really i like this blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. article is very nice i really like this article it is to use for all students essay writing is most important for all students you want to get good essay to visit here. it will give us the best choice of writing service for all students.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing comments and I welcome all viewpoints; however, I request that if you do choose to comment, please do so in a manner that is constructive and respectful of others.